The Enugu State Police Command has commenced investigation into the death of an eight-year-old boy from a suspected kerosene fire in the Umundu community, Udenu Local Government Area of the state.
The command’s spokesperson, Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Tuesday, said it occurred on Sunday night.
Amaraizu said the boy and other family members were in their house when the fire broke out and engulfed the whole apartment.
The News Agency of Nigeria quoted him as saying, “It was gathered that the incident occurred when the victim, Chikamso Nnamani, aged about eight years old, tried to refill a lamp with kerosene.
“But unfortunately, the fire went wild and quickly engulfed the whole house.
“It was further gathered that as the occupants were running away, the said Chikamso ran in another direction and was allegedly consumed by the fire.”
According to Amaraizu, a full-scale investigation has commenced into the incident.
The police spokesman also said the community was thrown into mourning in the festive season following the incident.